The skincare and healing properties of cocoa powder have been known for millennia, going back to the traditional Mayans.
Cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants, helping to fight free radical damage. Ancient Mayans knew it helped keep skin happy and healthy. It’s also cited for reducing signs of aging and its antioxidant flavonoids help repair damage caused by the lasting effects of UV ray damage. Scroll down to read more about it!
The Benefits of Cocoa Powder
1. GIVES YOU A YOUTHFUL GLOW
Using cocoa powder for your skin will leave you with a youthful glow. The antioxidants present in skincare products like face washes help fight and reduce UV damage. Plus, it helps increase the blood flow to your skin and leaves it with a stunning flush and glow.
2. FIGHTS THE SIGNS OF AGING
Cocoa powder helps fight wrinkles and other signs of aging. The antioxidants present to tackle the triggers that cause your skin to appear older. Vitamin C and magnesium instantly brighten the skin and keep it healthy and protected. Cocoa powder is additionally rich in omega 6 fatty acids –– these help speed up skin healing too. So next time you want to feel refreshed and use a face mask, incorporate cocoa powder!
3. H3: BRIGHTENS YOUR SKIN
Due to its healing properties, cocoa powder helps with skin cell renewal. The theobromine present in cocoa powder can increase your blood flow to the skin’s surface revealing newer and brighter skin. The vitamin C present helps fade dark spots, reduces hyperpigmentation, and lightens any blemishes.
4. TREATS ACNE
From its medicinal properties, cocoa powder may help treat acne or any blemishes. Loaded with tannins, the anti-inflammatory properties reduce redness and soothe active acne spots. Many claim it can reduce acne scars too.
Are you convinced yet? Here are some ways you can use cocoa powder to get the best benefits:
- Mix a tablespoon each of cocoa powder, butter, sugar and honey in a small bowl and make a paste. Apply it on your face evenly. Let it rest for 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy only twice a month.
- In order to hydrate your skin, warm up 50 grams of chocolate with one tablespoon of olive oil and one egg yolk in a pan. Apply the face mask to your skin and wash it off after 15-20 minutes using warm water.
- In a saucer, make a paste of cocoa powder and water. Add two tablespoons of sea salt and one tablespoon of milk to it. Mix well and wash it off with lukewarm water. This mixture will act as a detoxifier and cleanse your skin naturally, so you can use it as a daily scrub.
- In a saucer, mix one tablespoon each of cocoa powder, olive oil and brown sugar and mix well. Use this as a scrub regularly to get rid of dead skin.